The special section in the September issue of Uptown takes a look at several HR issues the Association staff frequently hears about from our member cities.
- Every city should have an employee handbook that is vetted by a labor attorney to ensure it complies with state and federal law. Read this article in the September Uptown about handbooks.
- Performance reviews should be more about ongoing performance management than a once-a-year review. Get steps for planning and delivering a review here.
- The State Retirement System increases in employer and employee contributions are outlined here.
- Having a strong safety plan for your city is an important step toward saving money and protecting employees. Another Uptown article focuses on steps cities can take to increase safety. The Association’s property and liability program (SC Municipal Insurance and Risk Financing Fund) and its workers comp program (SC Municipal Insurance Trust) also provide great resources to member cities to help mitigate safety concerns.
- Many of these HR issues get attention from the SC Human Resources Association when HR professionals in city government come together twice a year to share ideas and best practices about their profession.
- Other HR resources available through the Municipal Association are outlined in this article.